The RFDS Tourist Facility in Darwin offers a captivating experience that showcases the heroic work of the Royal Flying Doctor Service team and the Bombing of Darwin.
Through interactive exhibits and a virtual reality presentation, visitors can enjoy the world of the RFDS.
With accessibility for all, including stroller and disability access, and Covid safety measures in place, this facility provides an informative and engaging experience.
Discover the fascinating history and remarkable work of the RFDS at this highly recommended tourist destination.
Good To Know
- The Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) provides primary and emergency medical services by plane to remote outback areas.
- The RFDS tourist facility in Darwin offers visitors the opportunity to learn about the work of the RFDS team and hear heroic rescue stories.
- The facility features interactive exhibits, including a Virtual Reality (VR) presentation, and allows visitors to explore inside an RFDS aircraft.
- The facility is accessible to all, with complete disability access, seating options, and wheelchair accessibility.
It's also worth checking out some other tours and experiences nearby.
Overview and Features
The Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) provides primary and emergency medical services by plane to remote outback areas. They offer visitors the opportunity to learn about the work of the RFDS team at their tourist facility in Darwin.
At the RFDS tourist facility, you can learn about the heroic rescue stories of the RFDS team through interactive exhibits and presentations. One of the highlights is the Virtual Reality (VR) experience, where you can step into the shoes of an RFDS pilot and witness the challenges they face in saving lives in the vast Australian outback.
The facility also allows you to explore inside an RFDS aircraft, giving you a firsthand look at the equipment and technology used in their life-saving missions. Prepare to be inspired as you discover the incredible work of the RFDS team and the lives they touch every day.
Accessibility and Amenities
Visitors to the RFDS tourist facility in Darwin will find a range of amenities and accessibility options to enhance their experience. Here are some of the features that make the facility accessible and convenient for all:
Wheelchair Accessibility: The facility ensures that surfaces are wheelchair accessible, allowing visitors with mobility challenges to navigate the space comfortably.
Seating Options: Throughout the facility, there are seating options available for all guests. Whether you need a break or simply want to take in the exhibits at your own pace, you’ll find a place to rest and relax.
Service Animals Allowed: The RFDS tourist facility understands the importance of service animals for individuals with disabilities. Visitors are welcome to bring their service animals to assist them during their visit.
Gift Shop Options: After exploring the facility and learning about the incredible work of the RFDS team, visitors can browse through the facility’s gift shop. Here, you’ll find a variety of RFDS and Bombing of Darwin branded products to commemorate your visit.
With these amenities and accessibility features, the RFDS tourist facility ensures that everyone can enjoy and fully engage with the exhibits and stories it has to offer.
Covid Safety Measures
Implemented in response to the ongoing pandemic, the RFDS tourist facility has put in place rigorous Covid safety measures to ensure the well-being of all guests. Visitors can feel confident knowing that their health and safety are a top priority at the facility. To give you a better idea of the safety measures in place, here is a table outlining some key precautions:
|Covid Safety Measures||Description|
|Private Group Tours||The facility offers private group tours, allowing guests to explore the exhibits and enjoy the VR experience with their own group, minimizing contact with others.|
|Enhanced Sanitization||The facility maintains a strict cleaning schedule, regularly disinfecting high-touch surfaces such as handrails, doorknobs, and interactive displays.|
|Social Distancing||Guests are encouraged to maintain a safe distance from others while inside the facility. Floor markers and signage remind visitors to practice social distancing throughout their visit.|
These measures not only provide a safe environment for guests but also ensure that everyone can fully enjoy the interactive exhibits and immersive VR experience offered at the RFDS tourist facility.
To ensure a smooth experience for all guests, the RFDS tourist facility has implemented a flexible cancellation policy. Here are the key details:
Refund eligibility: Guests who cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience are eligible for a full refund.
Last-minute cancellations: Cancellations made less than 24 hours before the start time are non-refundable.
Cut-off times: Changes or cancellations must be made at least 24 hours before the start time to receive a full refund.
Timezone consideration: Cut-off times for cancellations are based on the local time of the experience.
The RFDS understands that unforeseen circumstances may arise, and they strive to accommodate their guests as best as possible. However, it’s important to note that last-minute cancellations may result in non-refundable fees.
Guests are encouraged to plan accordingly and communicate any changes in a timely manner to ensure a smooth experience for all.
Reviews and Recommendations
The RFDS tourist facility receives high praise from visitors, who appreciate the unique and informative experience it offers. With a rating of 5.0 based on 218 reviews, the facility has left a lasting impression on its guests. Visitors particularly rave about the VR presentations and interactive exhibits that bring the work of the RFDS team to life. The facility allows guests to explore inside an RFDS aircraft, providing a hands-on experience that immerses them in the world of emergency medical services. Many reviewers recommend combining a visit to the RFDS tourist facility with other defense museums in the area, creating a comprehensive understanding of the region’s history. The facility’s commitment to engaging visitor experiences and interactive exhibits has made it a must-visit destination for those interested in the RFDS and its heroic work.
|Visitor Experiences||Interactive Exhibits|
|VR presentations||Explore inside an RFDS aircraft|
|Hands-on experience||Immersive exhibits|
|Comprehensive understanding||Engaging displays|
(Note: The table above showcases some of the visitor experiences and interactive exhibits at the RFDS tourist facility.)
Directions to the RFDS Tourist Facility
visitors can easily find their way to the RFDS Tourist Facility in Darwin. Here are some transportation options and nearby attractions to help guide them:
- By Car: The facility is located at 8 Stokes Hill Road, Darwin, which is easily accessible by car. There’s ample parking available nearby.
- Public Transport: Visitors can take a bus to the Darwin Waterfront Precinct, which is a short walk from the RFDS Tourist Facility.
- Taxi or Ride-sharing: Taxis and ride-sharing services are readily available in Darwin and can drop visitors off directly at the facility.
- Darwin Waterfront Precinct: After visiting the RFDS Tourist Facility, visitors can explore the vibrant Darwin Waterfront Precinct, which offers a range of dining, shopping, and recreational activities.
- Stokes Hill Wharf: Located nearby, Stokes Hill Wharf is a popular spot for fishing, dining, and enjoying stunning waterfront views.
- Wave Lagoon: Visitors can cool off at the Wave Lagoon, an artificial wave pool adjacent to the RFDS Tourist Facility.
- Bombing of Darwin Harbour Cruises: History enthusiasts can embark on a harbor cruise to learn about the Bombing of Darwin, an important event during World War II.
With these transportation options and nearby attractions, visitors can make the most of their visit to the RFDS Tourist Facility in Darwin.
Additional Information and Tips
Visitors to the RFDS Tourist Facility in Darwin will find additional information and tips to enhance their experience. One valuable resource is visitor feedback, which allows guests to learn from the experiences of others and make the most of their visit.
Another highlight is the Virtual Reality (VR) experience, where visitors can enjoy the world of the RFDS and gain a deeper understanding of the life-saving work they do. This interactive presentation is highly recommended by previous visitors who praise its effectiveness in bringing the stories to life.
Whether it’s stepping inside an RFDS aircraft, exploring the exhibits, or enjoying the hologram cinema sessions, the RFDS Tourist Facility offers a unique and informative experience that’s sure to leave a lasting impression.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is the Cost of Admission to the RFDS Tourist Facility?
The admission cost to the RFDS tourist facility includes guided tours. Visitors can enjoy the heroic rescue stories and interactive exhibits, all while exploring the inside of an RFDS aircraft.
Are Guided Tours Available at the RFDS Tourist Facility?
Yes, guided tours are available at the RFDS tourist facility. Visitors can explore interactive exhibits, hear heroic rescue stories, and even experience a Virtual Reality presentation. It’s a must-visit attraction in Darwin.
Is There a Café or Restaurant at the RFDS Tourist Facility?
Yes, there is a café at the RFDS tourist facility in Darwin. Visitors can enjoy a variety of menu options, including delicious snacks and refreshments, while seeing the fascinating world of the Royal Flying Doctor Service.
Can I Take Photographs Inside the RFDS Aircraft at the Facility?
Yes, visitors are allowed to take photographs inside the RFDS aircraft at the tourist facility. The facility also provides complete accessibility for disabled visitors, ensuring everyone can fully enjoy the experience.
Is There Parking Available at the RFDS Tourist Facility?
Yes, parking is available at the RFDS tourist facility. Visitors can easily find parking nearby, making it convenient to explore the facility and learn about the incredible work of the Royal Flying Doctor Service.
Not for you? Here's more of our most recent tour reviews happening neaby
- Darwin: Litchfield National Park and Berry Springs Day Tour
- Darwin: Spectacular Jumping Crocodile Adelaide River Cruise
- From Darwin: Kakadu Wilderness Escape Day Tour
- Darwin: Darwin Harbor Sunset Cruise With Buffet Dinner
- Top End Safari Camp Day Tour
- Bombing of Darwin World War II Tour With Harbour Cruise
- Litchfield and Jumping Crocodiles Full Day Trip From Darwin
- Corroboree Billabong Wetland Cruises – 2 Hour Sunset Cruise
- 1 Day Corroboree Billabong Wetland Experience Including 2.5 Hour Cruise Lunch
- Top End Safari Camp Overnight Tour
- Kakadu, Crocs & Rock Art: Full-Day Adventure Tour From Darwin
- Darwin Sunset Cruise Including Fish 'n' Chips
- Darwin Sunset Cruise With Dinner & Wine
- Sunset 3-Hour Cruise From Darwin With Dinner and Sparkling Wine
- Litchfield Day Tour From Darwin With Offroad Dreaming
The Sum Up
Discover the heroic work of the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) at the RFDS Tourist Facility in Darwin. Enjoy the experiences of the RFDS team through interactive exhibits and a VR presentation.
Get a firsthand look at the equipment used in life-saving missions by exploring inside an RFDS aircraft. With accessibility and amenities prioritized, including stroller and disability access, this facility ensures all guests can enjoy their visit.
Experience this informative and engaging attraction with peace of mind, thanks to Covid safety measures in place. Don’t miss out on this highly recommended and exceptional experience.